Systems Engineer Intern
Apply now »
Date: Dec 15, 2018
Location: Milpitas, CA, US, 95035
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
The internship is a part of the Systems Engineering and Advanced Technology team of Corning-SpiderCloud in Milpitas, CA. The position reports to the Director of Systems Engineering and will be responsible for developing receiver algorithms and a link-level simulator for 5G NR air interface. The candidate will work with other members of the systems team to help develop the tool in Matlab and C++. The ideal candidate is in a Masters or PhD program at a reputed university, with deep familiarity of digital communication theory and practice, including areas such as modulation, equalization, OFDM, channel encoding/decoding (LDPC and Polar codes), optimum receiver design principles including MMSE and MIMO receivers.
- Pursuing a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering
- The candidate should have undergone relevant course work in communication systems design, digital and wireless communications, information and coding theory, statistical signal processing, and multi-antenna communications, in addition to math courses such as linear algebra, random variable and stochastic processes and convex/numerical optimization.
- The candidate should be able to communicate clearly and effectively, in terms of documenting and presenting his/her work.
- S/W skills: Matlab, C++
- Working knowledge of the Layer 1 protocol stack of 5G NR (3GPP 38.211, 38.212) and/or LTE (3GPP 36.211, 36.212) is strongly desired.
- Prior experience with developing Monte-Carlo simulation tools for evaluating communication systems is desirable.
- Demonstration of research-work in this area with relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences is a plus.
This position can be based in either Milpitas, CA or San Diego, CA
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto